Lead Partner, ElevateNext UK
- LLB (Hons) – Leeds Metropolitan University
- LPC – Leeds Metropolitan University
(Editor note: Please read with a British accent)
I am a UK qualified solicitor and IAPP CIPEE/CIPM privacy professional and have spent almost all my career working in-house as a lawyer and latterly a Data Protection Officer in EMEA- focused positions for the UK, US, and Japanese Technology Companies. I have dealt with a wide variety of commercial and legal matters across multiple sectors and see myself as a generalist dealing with a variety of legal, compliance, and operational matters including day to day commercial operation, territory expansion and implementation of competition law and privacy compliance programmes across EMEA.
In 2018, I made the decision to see if I could make a small dent in the way law was being delivered by law firms by joining ASB Law (now Knights PLC) which has, in turn, led me to my role at ElevateNext and Elevate.
When looking at what I enjoy, it is getting to know a business, how it operates, and how to support them in getting to where they strive to be. Often this is most effectively done by simplifying legal and compliance topics (it is not a dark art or mystery) and empowering individuals across a business to feel they can be the solution or part of it. I see this at ElevateNext and Elevate, where the focus is on business solutions and not just solving a perceived legal problem.
Rob is the lead Partner in ElevateNext UK. A UK qualified solicitor experienced in providing strategic and transactional advice on commercial contracts, including IT and technology arrangements covering SaaS, fintech, the procurement of financial banking (open platform) services, and reseller and distribution structures and contracts, particularly in the security, print and imaging sectors.
Practical advisory and commercial implementation/operation of privacy, data protection, competition law, and regulatory compliance, for companies operating across multiple jurisdictions including Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, the US, and Japan. Examples of how Rob has supported clients include:
- implementing a multi-entity, multi-jurisdiction GDPR compliance policy for a Japanese multinational covering 18,000 employees across EMEA
- implementing policies for competition law, anti-bribery, and anti-corruption to achieve broad consistency while allowing for local law variations;
- drafting contracts to facilitate and support large scale outsourcing; and
- supporting a banking technology provider in their supplier procurement and management by helping to implement a contract lifecycle management system and providing onsite support for data migration and process development.
- Born in Swansea, Wales – live in Wokingham England
- Aston Villa, Wales Rugby, and fan of all things Sport.
- Love field hockey and have been lucky to have enough to play junior International hockey for Wales.
- Two kids so currently dedicated taxi driver and football fan!
- UK Solicitor regulated by the SRA – admitted 02/2001
- Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM) – IAPP (International Association of Privacy Professionals)
- Certified Information Privacy Professional / Europe (CIPP/E) – IAPP (International Association of Privacy Professionals)
- Member of Society for Computers and the Law